Sunday 29 March 2009

Portland Works

In 1939, aged 14, I started my working life as an apprentice grinder working for my dad also called Herbert Housley. In those days there were three gas engines that provided the motive power to all the workshops. The engine tender was called Harry Marriot he and his wife were also the caretakes. They lived on the premises, the entrance to their living space was a door just inside the archway. Approximately a hundred people worked at Portland Works at that time, the skills they had in those days were a sight to behold. One such craftsman that comes to mind was Mr Turner, then around 80 years old, he was an Ivory Carver and his speciality was a set of ivory handles each one depicting one of Jesus's Apostles, when carved and polished he fitted them to a set of tea knives.

3 comments:

  1. I bet Herbert has some tales to tell, I do hope someone takes the time to listen and record some of what he remembers. I enjoyed hearing those couple of anecdotes, it brings the place to life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes... they are so evocative... would be lovely to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just discovered that Herbert's memories are not only recorded but published in a lovely little book called "back to the grindstone" ISBN 1874718284

    If you read this Herbert, thanks for writing the book it is a treasure.

    ReplyDelete